Monday, December 20, 2010

The Fifth Day of Christmas...

So I've been operating without a home computer for the past few days and have fallen a little behind in my goal to create 12 original Christmas posts before the big day...  I've had a few topics rummaging around in my head, but I think this one is definitely food for thought.  If you have small children, it'll give you something to look forward to:-); if you have older kids, I'd LOVE to hear how you handled this one.

On the fifth day of Christmas God blessed me with an awkward conversation...
a parasitic plant spread by bird feces,
a challenge for our gift giving,
peace about the fat man in a red suit...
and a sweet party with new and old friends!

Anyone that has ever introduced the story of Christ's birth to children knows that sooner or later, the question is inevitable... "Mom, what's a virgin?"

I don't remember the first time my 8 year old posed this one, but I probably told him that it was part of Mary's name... The Virgin Mary.  The Bible is full of people with labels as names- Simon the Zealot, John the Baptist- and he bought it.  LAST Christmas, we were reading Luke 2 in the days leading up to Christmas.  He got to the word "virgin" and looked rather quizzically at me.  He knew he had heard the word before and was searching through his 7 year old memory to recall where he'd heard it.  Finally, he said, "Mom, is a virgin like a pioneer?" umm.... kind of?

In the past 12 months, we've studied botany and animals, as well as welcomed a new baby into the family.  I think he's starting to figure it out.  Last month, his Health curriculum introduced the idea of "puberty" as the time in a person's life when they are physically able to reproduce.  Being a public school textbook, there was no commentary beyond the definition.  I agreed that even though it was possible to create a baby at such a young age, it wasn't necessarily part of God's plan for us.  His response?  "Kind of like that show Sixteen and Pregnant?"  Yep... it's time to block some channels.

This year I have shied away from this topic, leaving it as "it takes a mommy and daddy to make a baby- Mary and Joseph weren't married so it was God that made her pregnant."  I know my seminary-trained friends (and sister!) are rolling their eyes at my lame attempt to leave sex out of a story that is so captivating and innocent for kids.  Think about it- you've got cute, furry animals; bad guys; rich visitors; and angels that appear out of nowhere- entertaining for all ages!

I have tried to focus more on the fact that Jesus' birth had been prophesied for thousands of years.  Our family is building a Jesse tree (more on that later!)- an Advent activity that emphasizes the lineage of Jesus.  We are talking about what it means to be "God made man".  Finally, we are talking about how hard it must have been for God to send His Son to earth, knowing the "whole story"- that He'd be beaten, shunned, mocked, and ultimately killed after living a perfect life.

I look forward to the day when my children can marvel at The Immaculate Conception- "the Virgin birth"- and appreciate it as another cause for celebration.  Until then, we will concentrate on the rated "G" version of Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment