Wednesday, December 29, 2010

My Early New Year's Ramblings...

Here we are, the week after Christmas, and I'm still without my home computer.  I had every intention of writing a dozen original posts in the "12 Days" before Christmas, but a trip to my parents, computer issues, and getting ready for Christmas got in the way.  So goes my life...   Maybe next year...

I read today that 68% of all Americans will make some sort of New Year's resolutions in the next few days.  Most will involve a gym membership.  I've been thinking a lot about self-improvement over the last few days.  (I tend to get introspective when my house is out-of-control messy, which has been the majority of the last 12 months.)  I came to a realization that rather than latching onto an idea or concept, I am more likely to jump on a person's bandwagon, deciding I need to be more like them to make myself a better person.  At least since I was a little girl, I have been able to identify qualities in people, women especially, I thought I needed to emulate.  Here is my Top Ten list- in no particular order- of Catherine's Role Models over the past 30-something years...

  • Martha Stewart (what aspiring homemaker hasn't?) 
  • Flylady (my sink never looked better those few months!)
  • Barbara Dooley (especially after reading her book!)
  • Sarah Palin (more-so after watching her TLC show- LOVE THIS GIRL!!)
  • Scarlett O'Hara (this may have something to do with her 18 inch waist...)
  • Ree Drummond (my current obsession- anyone that cooks with that much butter and is still skinny must have some pact with God...)
  • Michelle Duggar (Hey- I homeschool- is this really a shock!?!?)
  • Harriett the Spy (I never was this intuitive, curious, or bold, but always wanted to be...)
  • Juliette Gordon Lowe (pioneer an amazing organization AND get to live in Savannah? What a deal!)
  • Princess Diana (without the messy paparazzi-induced car crash. or being married to Charles.  I think it was the wedding that got me on this one.)
So I look back over the past year (most of which was spent throwing up, complaining, and changing diapers), I am identifying the areas in which I need a little self-improvement.  
Eat less; pray more; spend less; exercise more; be more patient; be less judgmental; be more hospitable; be less critical; eat more salads; drink less Dr Pepper... here's a start.  
I'm hoping 2011 will be year that I finally have my house under control, a consistent time set aside for God everyday, and that I can be the wife and mother my family deserves.  And  though my success doesn't hinge on having an RV and map of Alaska, 14 more children, or a secret diary, a girl can always wish!




No comments:

Post a Comment