Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Trying to Lose a Toddler...


Most of you know that I gave birth to a beautiful little girl back in September.  I don't know if it's my age or the fact that it was a c-section, but the pounds haven't just "fallen off" like they did with the last two.  Before I catch any flak, let me say that this isn't a superficial thing for me.  I've watched enough Oprah to know that all women are gorgeous, no matter what size they are, blah, blah, blah.  For me it's a clothes thing- they don't fit.  No one wants to celebrate their baby's 6 month birthday still wearing maternity clothes.  I miss my jeans!
It's also a health thing.  I read somewhere that most people gain 5-7 pounds between Halloween and New Year's and it rarely comes off- it just keeps compounding over the years.  Scary.  I know that obesity is epidemic in the US and am doing my best to keep it bay around the Bost Homestead.
Who wants to her my news???

I've lost (drum roll, please...) SEVEN glorious pounds since January 3rd.  I have a friend trying to shed 120lbs (that's a Backstreet Boy!), so 7 seems like a drop in the bucket, but wait for the real news...  it really wasn't that hard.  Here's my plan- so easy even, well, I can follow it...
  1. I joined a gym.  I know- so cliche to join a gym the first week in January, but Hey- I'm predictable!  The downside is that it is 15-20 minutes from our house and not near any of our usual errands or destinations.  Regardless, I have gone.  Let me break this part down for you
It has childcare.  A MUST for a stay at home mom.  My husband's schedule is too unpredictable for me to count on going in the evenings when he gets home.
It has an indoor pool.  My kids beg everyday to go- whining is a great motivator.  Some days we swim, some days they are in the nursery while momma works out, but they are an encouragement to me to get off the couch!
I met with a trainer my first time there.  I was honest- I told him I hated the gym, I hated sweat, and what specifically I wanted to accomplish, and he set me up a plan.  There's nothing more intimidating than walking into a room of 40 medieval-looking torture machines and grunting ex-linebackers.  He showed me how to use 6- count 'em SIX machines.  That's it.  I know some people feel they are paying for all of them-they need to use them... knock your self out.  I want to spend as little time as possible in there, achieving the maximum results I can.  I can do that circuit (doesn't that sound gym-y?) in about 25 minutes.  20 minutes on some sort of cardio machine- I only use ones that have magazine holders- and I'm done in less than hour.
It was relatively affordable.  We are paying a little over $40 a month for everything- that includes childcare.  That's the cost of a dinner out for my family- easy to give up when put in the proper perspective!

     2.  I am eating better.  This was actually harder for me than the gym membership.  I love to eat and I love to cook.  My idea of heaven is granite countertops and hungry orphans.  Seriously, nothing makes me happier than feeding the people I love.  And there's nothing that says "love" in raw spinach wraps and egg whites.  This has been a whole mind shift for me.  I've decided that if I can eat healthy breakfast and lunch (lots of shakes- not the "milk" kind, smoothies, raw carrots, & lean turkey) then I can cook a good dinner and eat in moderation.  We've switched to brown rice and whole wheat pasta and use venison & elk, both incredibly lean, for spaghetti, chili, and tacos- our Triumvirate of Dinners. 

    3.  I am drinking gallons of water.  I mean enough to scare Noah & his crew.  My sweet hubby has been on me for years to drink more water with no success.  Then I read that drinking 17 ounces of water with a meal will increase your metabolism by 30%.  (Gotta start speaking my language, babe!)  I have mapped out bathrooms on every route I drive through Pitt County and visit them shamelessly and frequently.  Not only does it help you feel full and aid in digestion, it helps your skin look younger.  Until Barack's health care plan includes chemy peels and Botox, I'm on my own.  Cheers!

    4.  Finally, I am tracking all three of these things (exercise, food, & water) on line.  If I bite it, I must write it.  I am using www.myfitnesspal.com but there are dozens of FREE sites out there to provide a whole community worth of fat, out of shape people to encourage you.  I'm not a message board person, but MFP has a very active one if that's your bag.  The cool thing is that you and a friend can both utilize this nifty little tool and then "friend" each other and monitor each other's progress.  Kind of like your own little Jiminy Cricket.  I have never tracked my eating before, but this has become a huge motivator for me.  One side note... my sweet hubby did some research on what a nursing mom's caloric intake should be everyday.  We figured that I'm burning about 300 calories a day by nursing.  I was able to create "nursing" as an exercise on MFP and now every morning I plug that in, gaining me some extra calories to eat! 

So that is phase one of my self-improvement plan.  Honestly, it's been the area in which I have had the most success and am the most excited about.  I'd love to hear from you- what has worked, where you need motivation, any comments, or just to congratulate me on how proud you are of me:-)

Now I'm off to the gym, sucka's!



1 comment:

  1. I AM so proud of you! I am going to take some of your suggestions and try to add to my more frequent gym attendance (which I was faithful to do this morning!) Laura would be proud of us.

    ReplyDelete