Saturday, July 31, 2010

Our First Lapbook...








Over the past two years of homeschooling, I've learned that there are two types of homeschool moms. The first type has their curriculum bought, paid for, and mapped out by mid-July every year. They write a Mission Statement every fall and name their homeschool after either some famous Reformed Minister or in tribute of a deceased loved one. These are the women that come up with amazing, creative ideas to enrich their children's lives and, in the name of community and cooperation, share these ideas online. The other type barely makes it from one day to the next and is always amazed when their children recall a random fact or use a vocabulary word appropriately. I'll let you guess into which category I fall... (Y'all thought I'd end that sentence with a preposition, didn't you??)
However, it is the painstaking archiving of various projects that make me love these Type A moms. As I can copy just about anything, I decided a few weeks ago to use this mimicking talent to enter the formidable world of LAPBOOKING... For you non-homeschoolers, a lapbook takes a manilla folder, folds it like a pamphlet, and then fills it with all kinds of wonderful information. Think "Scrapbooking meets a data dump". I have found a wonderful website that provides templates for just about any topic. If you design your own lapbook, you can submit your work for other moms to use- stay tuned for the Lindsey Lohan Trial Coverage Lapbook!!

We had just finished a unit on animals and were headed to the beach, so the boys and I researched sharks and created a darn good lapbook. Thanks http://www.homeschoolshare.com/ and whatever anal-retentive mom put the template together!!

3 comments:

  1. You make me laugh so much! And want to do this with my boy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent lapbook! You know my 6th graders do labbooks for each unit of animals we study, and I have a drawer full if you want some ideas. I've found that even if it's messy, letting the kids handwrite what they learn is good for them to remember and practice organizing what they know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me know when you get the Lindsay Lohan lapbook done lol

    ReplyDelete